Integrate with Sailthru
Sailthru is an email marketing tool that integrates with Memberful.
If you want to offer your audience a members-only email newsletter so you can share valuable information and drive revenue for your business—you’re in the right place!
When you combine the marketing automation wizardry of a platform like Sailthru with the best-in-class membership software that is Memberful, you can easily create a powerful email newsletter offering.
If you don't have an email newsletter with Sailthru yet, you might want to send members-only newsletters via Memberful instead — at no extra cost!
Learn how to send members-only newsletters via Memberful.
In this help doc:
- Integrate Sailthru.
- How we keep your list up to date and synced.
- Send a basic campaign.
- Send a targeted campaign.
- (Optional) Add a referral link to your campaign.
- Use custom field answers for segmentation and personalization.
Navigate to Settings → Third-party services → Sailthru from your Memberful dashboard, and click Connect to Sailthru. You'll be asked to enter your API key and API secret. To get the credentials, go to Settings → Setup → API & Postbacks in your Sailthru account.
How we keep your list up to date and synced
When you connect, we'll create a list called Subscribers from Memberful in your Sailthru account, and then automatically and continuously update your subscriber list by adding new members and updating existing members. We'll also sync important member details as custom fields. You can use these custom fields to build powerful smart lists.
You can see the subscriber's custom fields by going to their Sailthru profile and clicking the Custom Fields tab. A list of the custom fields we continuously sync to Sailthru:
- Memberful_Active_Subscription: Custom field is set to
trueif the member is actively subscribed to any plan.
- Memberful_All_Access_Pass: Custom field is set to
trueif a staff member has given them an All Access Pass.
- Memberful_Plan_[Your plan slug]: Custom field is set to
truefor every plan the member is subscribed to.
- Memberful_Download_[Your product slug]: Custom field is set to
truefor every download the member has purchased.
- Set to checkout if the member signed up by purchasing a plan or a download.
- Set to created_by_admin if the member was created by a staff member in the Memberful dashboard.
- Set to free_registration if the member signed up via the free registration form.
- Set to gift if the member signed up by receiving a gift membership.
We will not remove members from your Subscribers from Memberful list if their subscription expires. If the member's subscription expires, the related Memberful custom field will be updated or removed from their profile. In addition, if a member changes their email, we'll add the new email as a new subscriber, and remove the Memberful fields from the old email.
Send a basic campaign
In addition to the primary Subscribers from Memberful list with all your members, Memberful creates four default smart lists for sending campaigns:
- Active subscribers from Memberful: Members who are currently paid and active on any plan.
- Inactive subscribers from Memberful: Members who either don't have an active plan, or had one at some point, but chose not to renew it.
- Members who signed up by buying something on Memberful: Members who initially became members by making a purchase. Does not change if they later expire. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
- Members who signed up for free on Memberful: Members who initially registered for free. Does not change if they later make a purchase. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
Please don't remove or rename any of the lists Memberful created for you.
Send a targeted campaign
You can also use Sailthru's powerful Audience Builder to create your own smart list with Memberful's custom fields. On Sailthru, go to Users → Audience Builder, select the Subscribers from Memberful list as the audience source and click on Done. With the Audience Builder open, under the Custom Profile Field (Vars) section on the left, select Field: Exists, Contains, Is.
If you'd like to build a list of members that subscribe to your Gold plan, for example, type Gold under Field (var), select the Memberful field and type true under Value:
When you're finished, click Save as Smart List and choose a name. You can now use this list to segment your campaigns!
You can also mix and match several custom fields to build complex segments. To create a list of members subscribed to the Gold plan or the Silver plan, for example, follow the steps above to add the Gold plan, then repeat the process to add the Silver plan. When you're done, click the AND text connecting the two fields to switch it to an OR:
Now save the list!
(Optional) Add a referral link to your campaign
If you’ve enabled our referral program feature, you’ll be able to add a referral link to your broadcast so members earn rewards for referring others.
Select User Profile Data in your campaign editor.
Then start typing Memberful in the custom field search to see the referral link appear and choose memberful_referral_link.
Use custom field answers for segmentation and personalization
You can collect up to 5 custom fields with Memberful right after your members complete the checkout form.
Fields with pre-defined options (checkbox and dropdown) are perfect for segmenting subscribers in Sailthru—you could ask where they consume your content or what benefits they're interested in. Fields with free-form answers (text and comment) are great for personalizing email campaigns with things like nicknames, Discord/social handles, etc.
All answers show up as custom fields in Sailthru:
You can use the pre-defined options (checkbox and dropdown) to build custom segments:
You can also use the free-form answers to personalize emails:
Related help docs:
- Learn about the right way for your members to unsubscribe.
- Send members-only newsletters via Memberful.