Now Hiring: Software Developer
Memberful is a reliable subscription service for small independent publishers and businesses. Some of our more well-known customers include Gimlet Media, kottke.org, MacStories, Stratechery, Zen Habits, and Timmerman Report. Our goal is to help independent businesses across the web thrive with a sustainable business model.
Memberful was bootstrapped and launched in the fall of 2013 and has grown steadily over the past three years. We're profitable and plan to stay profitable because we believe in building a sustainable business. We also care deeply about working together with first-class teammates to build great products and provide real value to customers. With that in mind, we’re excited to bring on a second full-time developer. You’ll work directly with Drew and Patrik on the project. Drew currently handles customer service and frontend development, while Patrik handles all the backend development.
What we're looking for
It's fun and rewarding to work with people who are enthusiastic and get stuff done. This job is for you if:
- You’re enthusiastic about life and work on a daily basis.
- You embrace responsibility and new challenges.
- You care deeply about craftsmanship, form, and function.
- You want to build purposeful software with a small team.
- You look for opportunities to improve process.
- You thrive on organization and planning.
- You do what it takes to get things done on time.
- You don’t just report the problem, you present a plan for fixing it.
- You know it's about results, not time spent in your seat.
- You value deep work and respect teammates’ time and focus.
- You have experience working remotely and enjoy working alone.
- You recognize it's about building a great product, and therefore embrace discussion and criticism of ideas.
You should be hungry and excited to work diligently on useful software with real paying customers.
What you’ll work on
Our Ruby on Rails application runs on Heroku, and is already reliably powering service for over 250 paying customers. Because we’re a small team, your work will be both hands-on and multidisciplinary:
- Fixing routine bugs that come up from time to time.
- Planning and shipping new features and enhancements.
- Ensuring the application is fast and reliable.
- Responding to any overly technical customer support questions.
- On call and available 24/7 for any emergencies.
Some of the tools we use: Basecamp, Stripe, Heroku, Github, Circle CI, Librato, Postmark, Papertrail, Slack, Intercom.
Our software stack
- Rails 5 and Ruby 2.3. We adhere to The Rails Doctrine preferring simplicity over complexity and convention over configuration.
- We use Minitest and fixtures for testing (some legacy RSpec).
Skills, Salary & Benefits
You should have demonstrated programming ability and preferably some experience with production Rails applications. Experience with Heroku is a bonus.
- Base salary of $75,000 USD.
- Quarterly profit sharing bonuses (uncapped).
- Work remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Life-compatible hours. Results based culture.
- 3 weeks vacation (2 weeks mandatory).
Important note: We do not provide health insurance.
If you think you'd be a good fit for this position, send an email to email@example.com and tell us why. Please don't send a boilerplate cover letter. Send a great cover letter. We're looking for a teammate who understands our company and is excited to be part of it. Also, don't forget to show us some real code you've written recently. We can't write back to everyone, but we do appreciate your interest.