Memberful sends beautiful transactional emails on your behalf that drive members to take important actions. The email templates include default text as well as the ability to fully customize both the subject line and email body using a rich text editor and variables. We'll also apply your custom branding to the templates.
In this help doc:
- Test the email templates.
- Edit the email templates.
- Review available templates.
- Review available variables.
- View a member's history.
Test the email templates
To send and receive transactional emails while in test mode, navigate to Account → Plans and billing and upgrade to the Pro plan for free.
As you're editing your email templates, you can send a test email to yourself by clicking the Send a test email button at the bottom of the page. You can also send up to 25 emails a day while your site is in test mode.
After your site is live, to test how the email templates are being triggered without affecting current emails being sent, you can open a separate Memberful account and leave it in test mode, or use a service like PutsMail.
Edit the email templates
Navigate to Customize → Email. All email templates are enabled by default except for the Welcome message and Checking in.
Click an email template to edit it.
You can edit the subject line and the default text. You can also click Add variable to view the available variables and add them to the template. Click Reset to default to return to the default text.
Click Save changes when you’re done editing.
Review available templates
- Welcome message: Sent when a new member completes their first order or activates a gift.
- Checking in: Sent 14 days after a member completes their first order.
- New free member created: Sent to new members who sign up for free or are created by Staff.
- Gift delivery: Sent when a member receives a gift.
- Discord invite: Sent to new members if the Discord integration is enabled.
- Payment receipt: Sent whenever a member completes an order, including orders with a free trial.
- Payment refunded: Sent when an order is refunded.
- Gift payment receipt: Sent when someone buys a gift.
- Card missing: Sent one week before renewal when a member does not have a credit card and subscription hasn't been cancelled.
- Card expired: Sent one week before renewal when a member's credit card has expired and subscription hasn't been cancelled.
We send the Card missing and Card expired emails once a day at 9AM UTC. How does this impact your members? Here's an example:
Let's say a member signs up for a 7-day trial on March 1st at 10 AM UTC; we will have already sent the emails for the day. Once we check again on March 2nd, the subscription will now expire in 6 days, so the member won't be eligible to receieve the emails.
- Subscription expiring soon: Sent 48 hours before a cancelled subscription expires.
- Subscription is past due: Sent when a subscription becomes past due.
- Subscription expired: Sent when a subscription has expired, including subscriptions that expired because the member didn't add a credit card before the end of a trial.
- Yearly renewal reminder: Sent 31 days before a member's yearly subscription is due for renewal.
- Trial ending: If the trial requires a credit card and lasts for 7 days or longer, this email will be sent 5 days before it expires.
- Subscription cancelled: Sent 2 days after a member cancels their subscription. It will not be sent if the subscription was cancelled by an admin or if the subscription is scheduled to expire before it would send. It will also not be sent more than once in 90 days.
- New reward: Sent when a member earns a referral reward.
Group subscription emails
- (Premium) Welcome group subscription manager: Sent to new group subscription managers after they purchase a group subscription.
- (Premium) Welcome new group subscription member: Sent to new members after they join a group subscription.
- (Premium) Request to join a group subscription: Sent to group subscription managers when a member requests approval to join a group subscription.
- Sign in link: Sent when a member requests a sign in link.
- Password reset: Sent when a member has lost or forgotten their password.
Review available variables
Available for these templates: Welcome message, Payment receipt, Order refunded, Checking in, Password reset, New free member created, Discord invite.
- Site name: The name of the site as configured in Settings → Website name and URL.
- First name: The first name of the email recipient.
Available for these templates: Subscription expiring soon, Subscription is past due, Subscription expired, Card expired, Card missing, Yearly renewal reminder, Free trial ending.
- Plan name: The name of the subscription's plan.
- Renewal amount: The renewal price for the subscription.
- Renewal date: The renewal (or expiration, if inactive) date for the subscription.
Available for these templates: Gift delivery, gift payment receipt.
- Site name
- Gift giver name
- Gift giver email
- Gift recipient name
- Gift recipient email
Available for these templates: Request to join a group subscription, Welcome new group subscription member, Welcome group subscription manager.
- Plan name
- Group subscription manager name (Welcome new group subscription member only)
- Group subscription manager email (Welcome new group subscription member only)
- Group subscription member name (Request to join a group subscription only)
- Group subscription member email (Request to join a group subscription only)
View a member's email history
You can access a log of the transactional emails we send to members on your behalf. Learn more.
Related help docs:
- Send white-label emails using your own SMTP server or transactional email service.
- Customize the look and feel of member-facing pages.