Restrict access to video content
You can embed a video into a WordPress post — or a post on a Memberful-hosted site — and protect that embedded video for members only.
When you pair Memberful with a video hosting provider (like Vimeo, Wistia, or even YouTube), sharing exclusive videos with your members is as easy as 1-2-3!
In this help doc:
- Choose a video hosting platform.
- Embed videos on protected WordPress posts.
- Embed videos on a member site hosted by Memberful.
Choose a video hosting platform
A video hosting platform is the home for all your bandwidth intensive videos. Wistia and Vimeo (Vimeo PRO or Vimeo Business) are two great options. Both platforms offer plenty of customization options, HD videos, and reliable playback. They also provide you with the option to restrict video embedding to specific websites. You can also check out Streamable, Cloudflare Stream, SproutVideo, and Vidyard.
If you can't commit to a paid hosting platform, you can create and embed unlisted Youtube videos on your site. However, keep in mind that this option makes it possible for non-members to discover your videos.
Follow these steps to get started with Wistia:
- Upload your videos to your Wistia account.
- Configure your Wistia account and customize your video player.
- (Important!) Enable domain restrictions.
Follow these steps to get started with Vimeo:
- Upload your videos to your Vimeo account.
- Customize your Vimeo video player.
- (Important!) Configure your Vimeo privacy settings and be sure to enable the Only on sites I choose embedding option.
Step 3 is important because it restricts the embedding of your Wistia or Vimeo videos to your domain. This ensures your members-only videos stay private.
Embed videos on protected WordPress posts
Then protect each post using the Memberful WordPress plugin.
Embed videos on a Memberful-hosted site
Memberful allows you to set up a simple website with members-only posts as well as content pages that can be accessed by everyone.
To embed a video in a Memberful post, paste the URL of a video from Youtube or Vimeo into the content editor, and it will be automatically embedded. Only YouTube and Vimeo videos are supported at this time.
While you're in the editor, we'll display a thumbnail of your video as a placeholder, but it will be replaced with the actual embedded video when you publish or preview the post.
Emails can't contain embedded videos, so if you're publishing via email, we'll show the thumbnail of your video with a play icon enticing your readers to click to view the full video.
Related help docs:
- Restrict access to WordPress posts in bulk.
- Restrict access to entire categories or tags.
- Restrict parts of your WP post or page.