Integrate with Mailchimp
Mailchimp is a marketing automation platform that integrates with Memberful.
In this help doc:
- Integrate Mailchimp.
- How we keep your list up to date and synced.
- Send a basic Campaign.
- Send a targeted Campaign.
- Send autoresponders.
Navigate to Settings → Integrate → Services from your Memberful dashboard, and activate the Mailchimp integration. You'll be sent to the Mailchimp website and asked to sign in and confirm permissions for Memberful to add to your mailing list.
You'll then be sent back to Memberful where we'll ask you to confirm which list you want to sync your members to.
When you first connect to Mailchimp, we'll export all your existing Memberful members as subscribers. Then we'll automatically and continuously update your subscriber list by adding new members and updating existing members.
How we keep your list up to date and synced
We automatically sync the member's active subscriptions as Mailchimp Groups. We will not remove members from the mailing list if their subscription expires. In addition, if a member changes their email, we'll add the new email as a new subscriber, and remove the Memberful fields from the old email.
A list of the Mailchimp Groups we sync:
- Plans: All active Plans for the member. If the member's subscription expires, they are removed from the Group.
- Products: All Downloads owned by the member.
- Signup source: Set to Free Registration (signed up through a free registration link), Checkout (signed up through a Plan purchase link), Created by Admin (added by a Staff via the Memberful dashboard), or Gift (signed up by activating a gifted subscription). Does not change.
- All Access Pass: Set to Enabled or Disabled.
Groups give you the power to segment your list. If you want to email active (paying) members only, you'll want to use our pre-defined segments (see below) or create your own custom segment using Mailchimp Groups.
Send a basic Campaign
To send out a newsletter in Mailchimp you need to create a campaign that sends to specific members. Memberful creates four default segments for sending campaigns:
- Members with an active subscription: Customers who are currently paid and active on any Plan.
- Members without an active subscription: Customers who either don't have an active Plan, or had one at some point, but chose not to renew it.
- Members who registered for free: Customers who initially registered for free. Does not change if they later make a purchase. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
- Members who signed up buying something: Customers who initially became members by making a purchase. Does not change if they later expire. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
Send a targeted Campaign
If you want to get more granular, you can target members who're subscribed to specific Plans. Choose Group or new segment from the Segment dropdown menu and select the individual Plan(s).
You may combine segments (see above) with Mailchimp Automation to send unlimited event triggered emails.
Related help docs: