Integrate with MailChimp
MailChimp is a marketing automation platform that integrates with Memberful.
In this help doc:
- Integrate MailChimp.
- How we keep your list up to date and synced.
- Send a basic Campaign.
- Send a targeted Campaign.
- Send autoresponders.
- The right way to "unsubscribe."
Navigate to Settings → Integrate → Services from your Memberful dashboard, and activate the MailChimp integration.
You'll be sent to the MailChimp website and asked to sign in and confirm permissions for Memberful to add to your mailing list.
You'll then be sent back to Memberful, where we'll ask you to confirm which list you want to sync your members to:
When you first connect to MailChimp, we'll import all members as subscribers. Then, we'll automatically and continuously update your subscriber list by adding new members and updating existing members.
How we keep your list up to date and synced
We automatically sync the member's active subscriptions as Mailchimp Groups. We will not remove members from the mailing list if their subscription expires. Groups give you the power to segment your list. If you want to only send to active (paying) members you'll want to use our pre-defined segments (see below) or create your own custom segment using MailChimp Groups.
If you're viewing a Memberful member in MailChimp, navigate to the right of the page to see the information we've synced:
A list of the MailChimp Groups we sync:
- Plans: All active Plans for the member. If the member's subscription expires, they are removed from the Group.
- Products: All Downloads owned by the member.
- Signup source: Set to Free Registration, Checkout, or Created by Admin. Does not change.
- All Access Pass: Set to Enabled or Disabled.
Send a basic Campaign
To send out a newsletter in MailChimp you need to create a campaign that sends to specific members. Memberful creates four default segments for sending campaigns:
- Paid Subscribers: Customers who are currently paid and active on any Plan.
- Members without a paid-up subscription: Customers who either don't have an active Plan, or had one at some point, but chose not to renew it.
- Members who registered for free: Customers who initially registered for free. Does not change if they later make a purchase. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
- Members who signed up buying something: Customers who initially became members by making a purchase. Does not change if they later expire. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
Send a targeted Campaign
If you want to get more granular, you can target members who're subscribed to specific Plans. For example, you want to send different content to paying members with different Plans. Choose Group or new segment from the Segment dropdown menu and select the individual Plan(s).
You may combine segments (see above) with MailChimp Automation to send unlimited event triggered emails.
The right way to "unsubscribe"
Your email newsletter's "unsubscribe" link will not cancel a member's subscription. Add a Memberful Account link to your email newsletter template so your members can manage their profile, subscriptions, and credit card details.
Replace YOURSITE with your actual site name, which can be found in your Memberful dashboard via Account → Account settings.
If a paying member mistakenly clicks the MailChimp unsubscribe link—and you want them to receive your emails again—delete and archive them in MailChimp. Memberful will re-add them when it syncs. If you accidentally click delete and remove, Memberful will not be able to re-add the member to your list. In that case, please contact MailChimp support for help.
Related help docs:
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Import your members
- Edit email templates
- Create a Plan
- Create a Team plan
- Create Plan Groups
- Change Plan price
- Customize branding
- Include or sell Downloads
- Update your account settings
- Choose your currency
- Give free access
- Enable Apple Pay
- Integrate with Google Analytics
- Add custom conversion tracking
- Set member attributes
- Integrate with Zapier
- Create a coupon
- Add a custom field
- Offer and manage gifts
- Integrate with Tapfiliate
- Include VAT
- Use a staging site
- Move all members of a Plan
- Install the Memberful plugin
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Other plugins (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Add a link to buy a plan
- Add a link to buy a gift
- Protect WordPress content
- Organize protected content
- Memberful account links
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin