Email newsletter guide
If you want to offer your audience a members-only email newsletter so you can share valuable information and drive revenue for your business—you’re in the right place!
When you combine the marketing automation wizardry of a platform like MailChimp with a lean, mean member-management machine like Memberful, you can easily create a powerful email newsletter offering.
How to build a paid email newsletter
- Sign up for Memberful.
- Integrate your MailChimp account.
- Create your Plans.
- Prepare your membership offering.
- Send a basic or targeted campaign.
- Share Memberful account management links.
- Connect to Stripe.
Some concepts you should be familiar with:
- An active subscription to a Plan in Memberful is a MailChimp Group.
- You leverage MailChimp Groups to build custom Segments.
- You may combine segments with MailChimp Automation to send unlimited event triggered emails to your members.
Sign up for Memberful
Sign up for Memberful. Then from your Memberful dashboard, upgrade to the Pro plan from Account → Plans and billing. The Pro plan, which is free while you're in test payment mode, is required for email newsletter integrations.
Optional: Install Memberful on your website. For integration instructions, read the article that’s right for you.
Integrate your MailChimp account
Navigate to Settings → Integrate → Services from your Memberful dashboard, and activate the MailChimp integration.
You'll be sent to the MailChimp website and asked to sign in and confirm permissions for Memberful to add to your mailing list.
You'll then be sent back to Memberful, where we'll ask you to confirm which list you want to sync your members to.
When you first connect to MailChimp, we'll import all members as subscribers. Then, we'll automatically and continuously update your subscriber list by adding new members and updating existing members.
Create your Plans
Login to the Memberful dashboard, navigate to the Plans tab, and click New Plan. Copy the Plan purchase link (Cmd + C or Ctrl + C).
Thinking of selling multiple plans? Learn how to set up Plan Groups.
Prepare your membership offering
In MailChimp, prepare an email to send out to your entire list or a segment of your list. Describe the ongoing value your follower will receive when they become a member. Insert a button content block into your message and paste your Memberful Plan purchase link in it.
You can also add a Plan purchase link to your website.
Send a basic or targeted campaign
To send out a newsletter in MailChimp, create a basic campaign. Memberful creates four default segments for sending campaigns:
- Paid Subscribers: Customers who are currently paid and active on any Plan.
- Members without a paid-up subscription: Customers who either don't have an active Plan, or had one at some point, but chose not to renew it.
- Members who registered for free: Customers who initially registered for free. Does not change if they later make a purchase. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
- Members who signed up buying something: Customers who initially became members by making a purchase. Does not change if they later expire. Only tracks the initial sign up source.
You may combine segments with MailChimp Automation to send unlimited event triggered emails.
Segment your list
We automatically sync the member's active subscriptions as Mailchimp Groups. We will not remove members from the mailing list if their subscription expires. Groups give you the power to segment your list.
When setting up your email campaign, you can target members who are subscribed to specific Plans. Choose Group or new segment from the Segment dropdown menu and select the individual Plan(s).
Share Memberful account management links
Your email newsletter's "unsubscribe" link will not cancel a member's subscription.
Add a Memberful Account link to your email newsletter template so your members can manage their profile, subscriptions, and credit card details. Replace YOURSITE with your actual site name, which can be found in your Memberful dashboard via Account → Account settings.
Add a Downloads link to your email newsletter template to take members directly to their Memberful Downloads (if applicable).
If you’ve integrated Memberful with WordPress, you can add a Memberful profile widget to your site. For non-WordPress sites, you can add the account and downloads links directly to your site.
Connect to Stripe
Memberful starts out in test payment mode. When you’re ready to start processing orders, choose your currency and connect to your Stripe account through the Memberful dashboard: Navigate to Settings→ Payment. We'll automatically purge all your test orders when you switch to live payments.
Way to go! 🎉
You now have a paid email newsletter! Next step: Announce your offering to your loyal followers and solicit some feedback. This will get you selling right away. Then, you can think about how to maximize the value of your offering—and promote ongoing membership.
Related help docs:
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Import your members
- Edit email templates
- Create a Plan
- Create a Team plan
- Create Plan Groups
- Change Plan price
- Customize branding
- Include or sell Downloads
- Update your account settings
- Choose your currency
- Give free access
- Enable Apple Pay
- Integrate with Google Analytics
- Add custom conversion tracking
- Set member attributes
- Integrate with Zapier
- Create a coupon
- Add a custom field
- Offer and manage gifts
- Include VAT
- Use a staging site
- Move all members of a Plan
- Install the Memberful plugin
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Other plugins (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Add a link to buy a plan
- Add a link to buy a gift
- Protect WordPress content
- Organize protected content
- Memberful account links
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin