Configure upgrade settings
When you add all your Plans to the same Plan Group, members can move between your Plans on their own (i.e. upgrade, downgrade, or crossgrade).
Plan Groups also prevent members from inadvertently subscribing to more than one Plan at a time since they can only subscribe to one Plan in a Plan Group.
In this help doc:
Set up a Plan Group
Navigate to the Plans tab, select a Plan, and click Plan Settings.
Navigate to the Upgrades and Downgrades section, and click Manage groups.
One-time purchases, group subscriptions, Plans with a fixed number of payments, and Plans that renew on a specific day of the month are not eligible for Plan Groups.
Name the group and then click Add new group.
Add your Plan to the group, and repeat for all other Plans you want to be included in the same group.
Review Plan Group settings
Navigate to Settings → Plans to review and edit your Plan Group settings. When a member changes Plans they Upgrade, Downgrade, or Crossgrade.
An upgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that costs more than their current Plan.
- The member's Plan changes immediately.
- Member is immediately charged a prorated amount for the upgrade.
We will not apply a prorated credit for newly imported members. Since they have not paid via Memberful before, their previous order will show as $0. For this use case, we suggest you choose one of the other upgrade options.
Additional upgrade options
There are two additional upgrade options that are useful for sites with different Plans that have the same benefits:
- Charge full price and change the Plan immediately. The new subscription term starts after the current renewal date.
- Charge and change the Plan at the next renewal date.
A downgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that costs less than their current Plan.
- The member's Plan changes at the next renewal date.
- Member is charged the new price at the next renewal date.
A crossgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that has the same price as their current Plan. There is no charge for crossgrades.
- If both Plans have the same renewal period, the Plan changes immediately.
- If both Plans have different renewal periods, the Plan changes at the next renewal date.
Related help docs:
- Create a Plan.
- Add a Plan purchase link to your site.
- Learn about how members can manage their subscriptions.
- Learn about how members can update their personal information.