Protect WordPress content
In this help doc:
- Restrict access to WordPress pages and posts.
- Set default marketing content.
- Use the Bulk restrict access tool.
Restrict access to WordPress pages and posts
Memberful provides 100% secure server-side content protection with our WordPress plugin.
Choose who has access
Once you've installed the Memberful WordPress plugin on your site, you'll see a Memberful: Restrict Access box at the bottom of each page and post. Choose who should have access to your page or post by checking the appropriate box(es):
- All members—active, inactive, or free (works well for a "Freemium" tier)
- Members with an active subscription to any Plan
- Members with an active subscription to a specific Plan
- Anybody who owns a specific Download
Adding marketing content / teaser text
Check out these customer examples for inspiration:
Add your members-only content
Add your members-only text, images, and video embed codes in the editor above the marketing content. Save your page or post.
If a member is logged in to your site and has the correct access, they’ll be able to see the protected content in your page or post. If they don't have the right access or are logged out of your site—they'll see the marketing content.
To test the content protection on your site, log out of your WordPress administrator account or access the page from a private browser window.
Set default marketing content
To create default marketing content for all new posts and pages, check the box at the bottom of the editor.
Use the Bulk restrict access tool
If you want to bulk restrict access to all pages, all posts, all posts from a category, or all pages and posts, navigate to Settings → Memberful → Bulk restrict access tool. Keep in mind that this is a one-time application of the settings.
Be careful when you bulk apply these settings as they will overwrite and replace any specified individual post or page restrict access settings.
You must have at least one categorized, published post for a particular category to appear in the Bulk apply restrict access settings.
Restrict access to Custom post types
Register your custom post types to use them with Memberful. Use our Wordpress functions if you need to apply restrictions across an entire Custom post type.
Related help docs:
- If you need to include marketing material in your unprotected (free) content, but want it to be hidden to customers who've already paid, use our shortcodes to manually protect WordPress content.
- Organize protected WordPress content.
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Import your members
- Migrate from Substack
- Add a member
- Add a staff member
- Change Plan price
- Add a custom field
- Give free access
- Offer and manage gifts
- Manage Team plans
- Refund or suspend an order
- Move all members of a Plan
- Use a staging site
- Pause a subscription
- Handle failed payments
- Switch Stripe accounts
- Install the Memberful plugin
- Other plugins (recommended)
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Member account links
- Protect WordPress content
- WordPress troubleshooting
- Organize protected content
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin