When you add all your Plans to the same Plan Group, members can change Plans on their own with the option to pro-rate their charge. Members can't subscribe to more than one Plan in a Plan Group.
In this help doc:
Set up a Plan Group
Navigate to Plan Settings for any Plan and click Manage groups. One-time purchases, group subscriptions, Plans with a fixed number of payments, Plans with Choose what you pay enabled, and Plans that renew on a specific day of the month are not eligible for Plan Groups.
Name the group and then click Add new group.
Add your Plan to the group, and repeat for all other Plans you want to be included in the same group.
Review Plan Group settings
Navigate to Settings → Plans to review and edit your Plan Group settings. When a member changes Plans they Upgrade, Downgrade, or Crossgrade.
An upgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that costs more than their current Plan.
- The member's Plan changes immediately.
- Member is immediately charged a prorated amount for the upgrade.
Please note that we will not apply a prorated credit for newly imported members. Since they have not paid via Memberful before, their previous order will show as $0. For this use case, we recommend you choose one of the other upgrade options.
Additional upgrade options
There are two additional upgrade options that are useful for sites with different Plans that have the same benefits:
- Charge full price and change the Plan immediately. The new subscription term starts after the current renewal date.
- Charge and change the Plan at the next renewal date.
A downgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that costs less than their current Plan.
- The member's Plan changes at the next renewal date.
- Member is charged the new price at the next renewal date.
A crossgrade occurs when a member changes to a new Plan that has the same price as their current Plan. There is no charge for crossgrades.
- If both Plans have the same renewal period, the Plan changes immediately.
- If both Plans have different renewal periods, the Plan changes at the next renewal date.
Related help docs:
- Create a Plan.
- Add a Plan purchase link to your site.
- Learn about how members can manage their accounts.
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Import your members
- Migrate from Substack
- Add a member
- Add a staff member
- Change Plan price
- Add a custom field
- Give free access
- Offer and manage gifts
- Manage Team plans
- Refund or suspend an order
- Move all members of a Plan
- Use a staging site
- Pause a subscription
- Handle failed payments
- Switch Stripe accounts
- Install the Memberful plugin
- Other plugins (recommended)
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Member account links
- Protect WordPress content
- WordPress troubleshooting
- Organize protected content
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin