Import your members
To get ready for the import, first create your Memberful plans. Then prepare your site by installing our WordPress plugin (optional) and adding Memberful purchase and sign in links. We recommend using a staging or local environment if you don't want to make live changes.
Prepare your import file
A few different scenarios to consider when preparing your import file:
- I’m already using Stripe and my member’s already have Stripe Subscriptions: You do not need to prepare a CSV import file. We can import the subscriptions and members directly from your Stripe account without any assistance.
- I’m already using Stripe, but my members do not have Stripe Subscriptions: You’ll need to prepare and generate an export from your old membership system and format it so it can be imported to Memberful (see sample CSV). Include the Stripe Customer IDs.
- I’m not using Stripe yet (PayPal, Braintree, Authorize.net). If you’d like to move your existing customer credit cards to Stripe (not required), please contact Stripe about moving the cards. Then, generate an export from your old membership system and format it so it can be imported to Memberful (see sample CSV).
Now download the Sample CSV file by visiting the Members tab in your Memberful dashboard and clicking the Import Members button. You'll see a link to download a sample CSV at the bottom.
Schedule the import
We automatically purge all members and orders from your account when you connect to Stripe and exit test payment mode, so you’ll need to connect to Stripe before making the final import.
- Connect your Memberful account to Stripe.
- Schedule a date and time for the import.
If we’re performing the import for you, please give us at least 5 business days notice and tell us how to map the existing Stripe Subscriptions to your newly created Memberful plans.
Go live with Memberful!
- Disable your old membership system completely.
- Enable Memberful and push live any necessary design changes.
- Make a final export from your old system and import your members using the import tool (see below). If you’re already using Stripe Subscriptions, we will perform the import for you.
Using the import tool
Go to the Members tab in your Memberful dashboard and click Import Members. Upload your properly formatted CSV and the members will be imported. The only required fields are First name, Last name, and Email. If you don't want to include a field, leave it empty.
Wondering how to add a member with multiple plans? Simply re-import the same member again with a different plan.
Important note about CSV formatting: The import tool will not work if there are special characters in the CSV file. Microsoft Excel generates these special characters. For that reason, we recommend importing and re-exporting the CSV via Google Sheets.
- First name (Required): First name of the member.
- Last name: Last name of the member.
- Email (Required): Email address of the member.
- Password: Set a password for the member.
- Free access: Should the member have an "All Access Pass" (Access to all Plans and Downloads)? Yes or No, default value is No.
- Street: Member's street address.
- City: Member's city.
- Postal Code: Member's ZIP or postal code.
- Country: Member's country.
- Phone Number: Member's phone number.
- Memberful Plan Name: The name of the Memberful Plan you want to subscribe the member to.
- Memberful Plan Expiration Date (Required if Plan Name is set): The date you want the subscription to expire.
- Memberful Plan Automatically Renews: Should the plan automatically renew on expiration? Yes or No, default value is Yes.
- Stripe Customer ID: If the member already exists in your Stripe account and has a credit card on file, you can enter the Stripe Customer ID and the credit card will automatically be associated with the member's account.
- Custom Field Value: If you've created a Custom Field from Settings → Members, you may populate it for the member.
Tell your members about change
After the import is complete you'll want to send an email to your members letting them know about the new system and include a link to reset their password and sign in. If you couldn't import their credit cards, you should also ask them to add a credit card.
Link to reset password and sign in
Link to add credit card