Memberful sends beautiful transactional emails on your behalf that drive members to take important actions. The email templates include default text as well as the ability to fully customize both the subject line and email body using a rich text editor and variables. If you're on our Pro or Premium plan, we'll also apply your custom branding to the templates.
In this help doc:
Test email templates
To send and receive transactional emails while in test payment mode, navigate to Account → Plans and billing and upgrade to the Pro plan for free.
To edit and test the email templates after your site is live, you can open a separate Memberful account and leave it in test payment mode, or use a service like PutsMail.
Edit email templates
Navigate to Customize → Email. All email templates are enabled by default except for the Welcome message and Checking in.
Select an email template, and then click Edit template.
You can edit the subject line and the default text. You can also click Add variable to view the available variables and add them to the template. Click Reset to default to reset the default text.
Click Save changes when you’re done editing.
- Welcome message: Sent when a new member completes their first order or activates a gift.
- Checking in: Response sent 14 days after a member completes their first order.
- New free member created: Sent to new members who sign up for free or are created by Staff.
- Gift delivery: Sent when a member receives a gift.
- Discord invite: Sent to new members if the Discord integration is enabled.
- Payment receipt: Sent whenever a member completes an order, including orders with a free trial.
- Payment refunded: Sent when an order is refunded.
- Gift payment receipt: Sent when someone buys a gift.
- Card missing: Sent one week before renewal when a member does not have a credit card and autorenew is enabled.
- Card expired: Sent one week before renewal when a member's credit card has expired and autorenew is enabled.
We send the Card missing and Card expired emails once a day at 9AM UTC. This means if your member signs up for a 7-day trial on March 1st at 10 AM UTC, we'll already have sent the emails for the day. Once we check again on March 2nd, the subscription will expire in 6 days, so it's not eligible for the emails.
- Subscription expiring soon: Sent 48 hours before a subscription expires when autorenew is off.
- Subscription is past due: Sent when a subscription becomes past due.
- Subscription expired: Sent when a subscription has expired including subscriptions that expired because the member didn't add a credit card before the end of a free trial.
- Yearly renewal reminder: 5 days before a member's yearly subscription is due for renewal.
- Free trial ending: Sent 5 days before a free trial ends if the free trial requires a credit card. If the trial is shorter than 7 days, we don't send the email. If it's longer than 7 days, it's sent 5 days before it expires.
Group subscription emails
- (Premium) Welcome group subscription manager: Sent to new group subscription managers after they purchase a group subscription.
- (Premium) Welcome new group subscription member: Sent to new members after they join a group subscription.
- (Premium) Request to join a group subscription: Sent to group subscription managers when a member requests approval to join a group subscription.
- Sign in link: Sent when a member requests a sign in link.
- Password reset: Sent when a member has lost or forgotten their password
Welcome message, Payment receipt, Order refunded, Checking in, Password reset, New free member created, Discord invite
- Site name: The name of the site as configured in Account → Account settings.
- First name: The first name of the email recipient.
Subscription expiring soon, Subscription is past due, Subscription expired, Card expired, Card missing, Yearly renewal reminder, Free trial ending
- Plan name: The name of the subscription's plan.
- Renewal amount: The renewal price for the subscription.
- Renewal date: The renewal (or expiration, if inactive) date for the subscription.
Gift delivery, gift payment receipt
- Site name
- Gift giver name
- Gift giver email
- Gift recipient name
- Gift recipient email
Request to join a group subscription, Welcome new group subscription member, Welcome group subscription manager
- Plan name
- Group subscription manager name (Welcome new group subscription member only)
- Group subscription manager email (Welcome new group subscription member only)
- Group subscription member name (Request to join a group subscription only)
- Group subscription member email (Request to join a group subscription only)
Related help docs: