Create a coupon
In this help doc:
- What are the coupon types?
- Add a coupon.
- Apply a coupon.
- Member applies a coupon code at checkout.
- Member applies a coupon code to an existing subscription.
- Staff apply a coupon code.
- Manage coupons.
What are the coupon types?
There are 3 coupon types:
- One-time: Applied once, then removed.
- Recurring: Applied to a subscription indefinitely (unless removed by staff).
- Limited: Applied to a subscription a limited number of times, then removed. (If applied at checkout, includes initial purchase and renewals.)
Add a coupon
Navigate to Plans → Coupons from your Memberful dashboard.
Optional: Check Allow members to add coupons to existing subscriptions. This setting is disabled by default and applies all members with active or expired subscriptions.
If you have several coupons, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see this setting.
Click Add a new coupon.
Create your coupon.
- Generate a code using numbers and letters.
- Enter a discount percentage or dollar amount.
- Optional: Enter max redemptions, i.e. the total number of times the coupon can be redeemed
- Optional: Select which Plans and Downloads the coupon can be applied to.
- Select a Coupon type.
- Optional: Check Require a credit card when the coupon covers the entire cost.
- Click Create coupon.
Apply a coupon
Members can apply a coupon code at checkout, to an existing subscription (optional), or when they change Plans (optional). Members cannot apply the same coupon code more than once. Staff can apply coupon codes to member’s accounts, from the Memberful dashboard, without limit.
Please note the coupon field will be only visible at checkout when there is at least one coupon enabled.
Member applies a coupon code at checkout
You must have at least one coupon enabled for the coupon field to be displayed in the purchase form.
You can also add coupons automatically with a link:
A more exact URL is available from the coupon edit view.
Member applies a coupon code to an existing subscription
To add a coupon to an existing subscription, members can navigate to the Subscriptions menu item in their account, click Add coupon, and apply the coupon code.
Member applies a coupon code during a Plan upgrade
To add a coupon during a Plan upgrade, members can navigate to the Subscriptions menu item in their account, click Change plan, and apply the coupon code.
Please note that if you've chosen to apply a prorated credit to upgrades in your Plan Groups Settings, and the charge-after-coupon is less than the credit for unused time, the credit will not be carried over to the new subscription.
Staff apply a coupon code
To apply a coupon to an existing subscription from the Memberful dashboard, navigate to the member’s profile, click the subscription link, and add the coupon code.
To add a coupon during a Plan upgrade, click change next to the Plan name, choose the new Plan, and then apply the coupon code.
Navigate to Plans → Coupons to view coupon redemptions and active subscriptions. Keep in mind that we only count redemptions:
- When the coupon has been applied by a member. It's not considered a redemption if a staff member applies it from the Memberful dashboard. On the other hand, active subscriptions will show all active subscriptions.
- For new orders, not renewals.
You can also edit, disable, or delete your coupons. If you disable a coupon, it won't affect members who are already using it, but it will no longer be applicable.
If you delete the coupon, it will be removed from all subscriptions that use it. This action is not reversible.