Memberful requires a Stripe account to process credit card payments. Memberful connects to your Stripe account with a click (visit Settings → Payment).
If you don't have a Stripe account, you can sign up and connect directly from Memberful. The Stripe sign up form is short and simple, and should take less than five minutes.
In this help doc:
- What is Stripe?
- How does it work?
- How do my customers pay me?
- Do you support Apple Pay?
- What happens with failed payments?
- How do you handle expired credit cards?
- How do I switch Stripe accounts?
- Do you support other payment processors?
- Is Stripe available in my country?
- Do you support SCA and 3D Secure 2?
What is Stripe?
Stripe is a full-stack credit card payment processor. They're a lot like PayPal, but with simpler pricing (no hidden fees), a cleaner interface, and more modern security features that don't require us to handle sensitive customer credit card data. It's free to sign up for Stripe, and they have simple transaction based pricing.
How does it work?
Stripe connects with your bank and handles the back end credit card processing for Memberful. They automatically deposit any payments you receive through Memberful directly to your bank account. They also provide you with the appropriate documents and exports for bookkeeping and tax reporting.
How do my customers pay me?
Once you've connected to your Stripe account, your customers pay you with any major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB) from anywhere in the world.
Do you support Apple Pay?
Apple Pay® is automatically enabled for live accounts connected to Stripe on Memberful standalone checkout pages. iOS visitors see the standalone checkout by default.
What happens with failed payments?
After the first payment failure, we retry the payment up to 4 times—always with 12 hours between retries. If we are unable to charge the member after 48 hours, we will deactivate their subscription.
How do you handle expired credit cards?
If we detect a credit card expiration date before the member's next renewal date, we'll send them an email reminder. On the renewal date, we'll try to charge the card on file—either the old one or a new one they've added. In most cases, an expired credit card will lead to a failed payment, but some banks do allow charges to be processed on expired cards.
How do I switch Stripe accounts?
If you wish to use a new Stripe account with Memberful, please follow the steps below:
- Contact the Stripe support team to migrate your Memberful customers to your new Stripe account.
- In your Stripe dashboard, deauthorize the Memberful app.
- Reconnect to your new account via the Payment tab in your Memberful dashboard.
- Contact us so we can re-sync your members. If you miss this step we will not be able to charge your members when their renewals come due.
Do you support other payment processors?
We don't support any other payment processors.
Is Stripe available in my country?
Visit stripe.com/global to see the full list of countries where Stripe is available.
Do you support SCA and 3D Secure 2?
Yes! We use Stripe's latest technology to fully comply with EU requirements for SCA and 3D Secure 2.0. You can read more about it in this blog post.
Related help docs:
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Install the Memberful plugin
- Other plugins (recommended)
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Member account links
- Protect WordPress content
- WordPress troubleshooting
- Organize protected content
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin