Memberful requires a Stripe account to process credit card payments. Memberful connects to your Stripe account with a click (visit Settings → Payment).
If you don't have a Stripe account, you can sign up and connect directly from Memberful. The Stripe sign up form is short and simple, and should take less than five minutes.
In this help doc:
- What is Stripe?
- How does it works?
- How do my customers pay me?
- What happens with failed payments?
- How do I switch Stripe accounts?
- Do you support other payment processors?
- Is Stripe available in my country?
What is Stripe?
Stripe is a full-stack credit card payment processor. They're a lot like PayPal, but with simpler pricing (no hidden fees), a cleaner interface, and more modern security features that don't require us to handle sensitive customer credit card data. It's free to sign up for Stripe, and they have simple transaction based pricing.
How does it work?
Stripe connects with your bank and handles the back end credit card processing for Memberful. They automatically deposit any payments you receive through Memberful directly to your bank account. They also provide you with the appropriate documents and exports for bookkeeping and tax reporting.
How do my customers pay me?
Once you've connected to your Stripe account, your customers pay you with any major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB) from anywhere in the world.
What happens with failed payments?
After the first payment failure, we retry the payment up to 4 times—always with 12 hours between retries. If we are unable to charge the member after 48 hours, we will deactivate their subscription.
How do I switch Stripe accounts?
If you wish to use a new Stripe account with Memberful, please follow the steps below:
- Create a new Stripe account.
- Contact the Stripe support team to migrate your Memberful customers to your new Stripe account. If your customers are not migrated we can't charge them when renewals come due.
- In your Stripe dashboard, deauthorize the Memberful app.
- Reconnect to your new account from the Memberful dashboard via the Payments tabs.
Do you support other payment processors?
We don't support any other payment processors.
Is Stripe available in my country?
Visit stripe.com/global to see the full list of countries where Stripe is available.
Related help docs:
- Try a live demo of the Memberful Overlay.
- Choose your currency.
- Connect Memberful to WordPress in 2 minutes.
- Use Memberful without WordPress.
Can't find what you're looking for? We'd love to help! 💪
Send us a message through the orange chat bubble in the lower right corner of the page. You'll hear back within a few hours Monday - Friday. 😀
- Import your members
- Edit email templates
- Create a Plan
- Create a Team plan
- Create Plan Groups
- Change Plan price
- Customize branding
- Include or sell Downloads
- Update your account settings
- Choose your currency
- Give free access
- Enable Apple Pay
- Integrate with Google Analytics
- Add custom conversion tracking
- Set member attributes
- Integrate with Zapier
- Create a coupon
- Add a custom field
- Offer and manage gifts
- Integrate with Tapfiliate
- Include VAT
- Use a staging site
- Move all members of a Plan
- Install the Memberful plugin
- WordPress hosting providers
- Enable SSL (recommended)
- Other plugins (recommended)
- Theme compatibility
- Add a link to buy a plan
- Add a link to buy a gift
- Protect WordPress content
- Organize protected content
- Memberful account links
- Private RSS Feeds
- WordPress shortcodes
- WordPress functions
- Disconnect/reconnect plugin